Abuja Bomb Blast: FG To Pay Victims’ Hospital BillsFeatured, Latest News, News Tuesday, April 15th, 2014
The Federal Government is to pay the hospital bills of victims of Monday’s bomb blast in Nyanya, the Director-General, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Alhaji Mohammad Sani-Sidi, has said.
Sidi at a new Conference in Abuja said, “I wish to use this medium to convey our heartfelt sympathy to families of those who lost their loved ones,’’ Sani-Sidi said on Tuesday in Abuja.
“We wish also to assure everyone of the full compliance with federal government’s directive on the medical treatment of the injured persons,’’ he said.
He said President Goodluck Jonathan had directed NEMA to collaborate with the Federal Ministry of Health and managements of hospitals where the victims are receiving treatment to ensure their speedy recovery.
He said that information available to NEMA indicates that the patients had been stabilised.
He, however, said a report from one of the hospitals on Tuesday morning had confirmed the death of another victim, bringing the total to 72 deaths.
Sani-Sidi said that NEMA’s information desk was working 24 hours to attend to complaints and enquiries from family members of the effected.
“Appropriate arrangement is also being made by the hospitals and other relevant organisations for the families of the deceased to claim their remains,’’ he said.
He said that DNA tests would be conducted for easy identification of mutilated bodies.
Sani-Sidi praised the timely evacuation of the injured in the aftermath of the blast which, he said, helped to save several lives.
He urged good-spirited Nigerians to donate blood at the designated hospitals for the treatment of the wounded.
He listed some of the designated hospitals as National Hospital, Abuja, Abuja Clinic, Karu; and Asokoro, Maitama, Wuse, and Nyanya general hospitals.
Others are Nigeria Customs Service Staff Clinic, Karu; Nasarawa Medical Centre, Mararaba; Pan Raff Hospital, Nyanya Phase 4, and Garki Hospital.
Sani-Sidi urged Nigerians to be vigilant and report all suspicious elements to security agencies.
He said NEMA would intensify its collaboration with the National Orientation Agency (NOA) to sensitise Nigerians on code of conduct during emergency situations.
Police Spokesman Frank Mba on Monday confirmed that 71 people lost their lives, while 124 others were injured following the blast at the Nyanya Motor Park.
The police spokesman also said that 16 luxury buses and 24 other vehicles were destroyed in the blast.
Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=10117