W3vina.COM Free Wordpress Themes Joomla Templates Best Wordpress Themes Premium Wordpress Themes Top Best Wordpress Themes 2012

Igbo Groups Threaten Not To Support Jonathan Second Term Bid


From Ignatius Okpara, Enugu, A coalition of pressure groups in south- east Nigeria, have vowed not to support president Goodluck Jonathan’s 2nd term ambition, saying the federal government under his watch had continued to take the Igbo race for a ride since inception.

Rising from a one day meeting in Enugu Thursday, the groups, which met to review the political situation in Nigeria, as it affects the South-East zone and the 2015 general elections, said they were yet to see genuine reasons why the Igbos should support President Jonathan for a second term.

This is coming despite claims by the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, that the South-East votes were exclusively for Jonathan.

Present at the meeting were representatives of the Igbo Leaders Council, Umuada Ala Igbo, Igbo Women Assembly, Igbo Students’ Association, Igbo Youth Movement, South-East Self Determination Coalition and Eastern Christian Council.

The group however, rhetorically demanded from those clamouring for Jonathan’s re-election to explain why railways, which is one of the President’s major achievement was yet to work in the South-East.

They also wondered why President Jonathan failed in his promise of according the Akanu Ibiam Airport the right international status.

Coordinator of South- East Self Determination Coalition, Comrade Samuel Edeson, who spoke on behalf of the groups stated that,“Mr. President has failed to fulfill all the promises he made to the people of the South-East despite the block vote given to him by the people of the zone.

“He promised that by the first quarter of last year cargo will be landing here in the South-East from different parts of the world, but nothing has come out of it. Our people still pass through the rigours of traveling to Lagos to clear their goods.

“If we also look at the rail way, which is one sector this administration has given so much attention, no significant thing is happening in the South-East, unlike other zones where it is now an alternative means of transport.

“So, the South-East youths and Ndigbo in general are very angry with this administration; if nothing is done and quickly too, President Jonathan should not expect our votes in 2015. Let him not allow sycophants deceive him by making him feel that all is well”.

“We don’t see the reason to continue voting for someone who has no clear plan for the development of this zone”, he concluded.

In his speech, President and Founder, Igbo Youth Movement IYM, Evangelist Eliot Ukoh, had agreed with the resolutions taken by the groups.

He however, urged the agitating groups to give President Jonathan a chance, noting that it would be wrong for the zone to withdraw its support from him without valid discussions.

Said Ukoh: “I got wind of the meeting and decided to be here, that’s why I am late; in as much as I am pleading with them to cool down, Mr. President should do the needful.

” It appears he is being held hostage by a cabal.

“He should meet with the South-East leaders, the likes of Professor Ben Nwabueze and show them a clear blueprint he has for Ndigbo in the next four years.

” He should reach out to our leaders” the IYM insisted


Please follow and like us:

Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=21233

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Follow by Email

FirstBank – advertisement



Browse Archives

Classified Adverts