W3vina.COM Free Wordpress Themes Joomla Templates Best Wordpress Themes Premium Wordpress Themes Top Best Wordpress Themes 2012

Military Describes Amnesty’s Human Right Abuse Video Unfair


By Tajudeen Balogun

The Nigerian Military has described as unfair the video clip released by the Amnesty International (AI), showing torture and killing of the harmless civilians by the security men in the terrorized zone of the country.

The Military hierarchy said Monday morning that the organization was not totally just by not availing the security force opportunity to have knowledge of the brutality and subsequent investigations before releasing it to the public.

Director of Information, Defence Headquarters, Major General Chris Olukolade, made these submissions during a telephone interview, monitored by African Examiner , with a Lagos based private radio station.

Olukolade indicated that Nigeria was committed to the provisions of Human rights Charter and Treaty, therefore should have been hinted and allowed to carry out due investigations ahead of the public allegation and release of the video footage titled: “Welcome to hell fire: Torture and other ill-treatment in Nigeria”.

The Defence Spokesperson denied the Military high hierarchy knowledge of the human rights abuse by its men in terrorized North Eastern part of the country. Many young men have been reportedly tortured and killed in the callous act.

It would be recalled the video clip with report were released last week by AI. Its Research and Advocacy Director, Netsanet Belay, said the footage “..goes far beyond the appalling torture and killing of suspected Boko Haram members.”

“Across the country, the scope and severity of torture inflicted on Nigeria’s women, men and children by the authorities supposed to protect them is shocking to even the most hardened human rights observer.”

“Torture is not even a criminal offence in Nigeria. The country’s parliament must immediately take this long overdue step and pass a law criminalizing torture. There is no excuse for further delay” , stressed Belay.

On the alleged hands off by some of the Boko Haram insurgents, General Olukolade admitted it was true some of the militants have surrendered their arms, while some have been killed in the fire exchanges with the soldiers, but added the war was not over yet as the insurgents were still many.

When reacting to the security conflicting claims of the killing of the insurgents’ head, Abubakar Shekau, the Military Publicist was cautious and said it was through some of the Boko Haram Commandants have been killed by the Military at different times by the army. He however declared, when it was necessary, the security authorities would clarify mystery still surrounding Shekau’s alleged death.

In a related development, the Nigeria Police Force has said the law banning check points across the country is still very much in place.

The Force Public Relations officer in Abuja headquarters, Ag CP Emmanuel Ojukwu also in the same telephone interview confirmed that the Acting Inspector General of Police (IGP), Suleimon Abba has directed that semblances of police road – blocks and permanent check points reportedly resurfacing in the South West, South and East parts of the country be dismantled immediately.

He also affirmed that IGP frown at the development and has announced warning and severe sanctions against any Police Command, Formation and Personnel found culpable.

Consequently, the Police boss has urged the Command Commissioners and Heads of formations to ensure total compliance to the order which was first handed down by Abba’s immediate predecessor, Muhammed Abubakar.


Please follow and like us:

Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=17759

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Follow by Email

FirstBank – advertisement



Browse Archives

Classified Adverts