Sex Scandal: Crewe FC Set For Barry Bennell’s Abuse InvestigationLatest News, Sports Saturday, November 26th, 2016
BALTIMORE, MD (AFRICAN EXAMINER) – Crewe Alexandra FC are set to hold an independent review into the manner historical child sex abuse allegations were handled.
Already, four ex-players have made allegations of sexual abuse against former Crewe youth team coach, Barry Bennell.
Crewe according to BBC said they were determined that a thorough investigation took place at the earliest opportunity.
The 62 year-old Bennell, has served three jail sentences for child sex offences, including one last year.
Similarly, four police forces have announced they are now investigating allegations of historical child sex abuse within football.
In a statement, the club said it “believes an independent review, to be conducted via the appointment of external legal counsel, is the correct way forward in the circumstances”.
It would be recalled that Andy Woodward was the first player to open up with his experience last week.
The former Bury and Sheffield United player alleged he was abused while at Crewe Alexandra from the age of 11-15.
Other players who have come up with accusation against Bernnell are: Steve Walters, Chris Unsworth and Jason Dunford.
Also, over 100 calls have been received by a special helpline set up by the NSPCC for people who wished to provide useful evidence to help the investigation.
In the meantime, senior figures in both the police and the FA have submitted they expected more allegations to be received in the coming days and weeks.
Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=36670