Tragedy: 3 Children Of Same Parent Burnt To Death In LagosFeatured, Latest News Wednesday, November 12th, 2014
By Ayo Balogun
Three children from the same parents have been burnt to death at Jakande Estate, Mile 2 in Lagos Nigeria on Tuesday night in their sleep.
The children are Ayomide Ilori, 10; Temiloluwa, 7 and eight month old Durosimi. The children’s parent had gone to church locking the children inside the flat on Block 56, Jakande Estate and went to church.
It was gathered that the children lit up a candle and went to sleep. The candle fell and ignited the fire, which burnt the three children to death.
Mr. Rasak Fadipe, spokesperson, Lagos State Fire Services confirmed the tragedy, saying that as a result of carelessness by the parent of the children, saying that fire servicemen arrived the area and battled to put out the fire.
He said that the parent of the children locked them at home and went to church, saying that the children lit a candle and went to sleep without putting it out as there was no adult at home to supervised them, adding that the candle might have falling and resulted in the fire which burnt the children to death.
He appealed to parents never to lock their children at home unattended to while they go on errand or anywhere in order to avert disaster, adding that any parent that wanted to go out should hand the children over to an elderly one rather than abandoning them at home without care and risk.
According to him, “I always advise people not to leave a light candle and go to bed. We cannot tell them not to buy and use candle because people produce them to sell, but they should not leave it and go to bed. In this era of portable rechargeable lamp that are cheap, people could purchase them for use in their houses.”
Fadipe disclosed that the fire razed two flats of three bedrooms at the topmost part of the building, saying that the fire service responded promptly by the time they were notified about the fire incidence.
“We mobilise the Isolo fire station where we got 10,000 litres of water and also mobilise the Sari-Iganmu Fire Station and got another 10,000 litres of water to put out the fire in the building,” he stated.
Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=19573