Turkey Confirms Joint Attack With US Against IS, Kurdish Forces In SyriaFeatured, Latest News, World News Wednesday, September 7th, 2016
BALTIMORE, MD (AFRICAN EXAMINER) – Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has disclosed plan by his country and US to launch attack to drive so-called Islamic State (IS) from its Syrian stronghold of Raqqa.
President Erdogan indicated that the suggestion on allied forces with his US counterpart Barack Obama was raised when they met at the G20 summit in China. Erdogan expressed confidence in the joint action against the terrorists’ group fighters.
“Obama wants to do some things jointly concerning Raqqa”; “We said this would not be a problem from our perspective.”
“I said: ‘Our soldiers should come together and discuss, then what is necessary will be done,” President Erdogan affirmed in a Turkish publication.
It would be recalled that Turkey launched an operation inside Syria, targeting both IS and Kurdish rebels in August.
Last week, Turkish-backed militia drove IS from the border town of Jarablus, still, Turkey is concerned and determined to check the advance of Kurdish forces whom it considered as terrorists.
As the offensive continues, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Nurettin Canikli said his country’s forces might push deeper into Syria after securing a stretch of land along the border.
Mr. Canikli claimed that 110 Islamic State and Kurdish militia fighters had so far been killed since the operation began.
Russia, an ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, said it was “deeply concerned” by the Turkish advance.
Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=35450