US. Sends Drones To Search For Chibok School GirlsFeatured, Latest News, News Wednesday, May 21st, 2014
The United States has deployed 80 members of its armed forces to Chad to help in the search for the kidnapped school girls in Chibok, Borno State.
President Barack Obama informed the House speaker and the president of the Senate of the move.
The personnel will support the operation of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft for missions over northern Nigeria and the surrounding area.
The forces will be involved in maintaining aircraft and analyzing data, but because they are armed, the President is required by law to inform the speaker of the House, Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said.
Boko Haram abducted more than 200 girls last month from a girls school in northern part of the country. Officials have speculated that the militants may have transported them to neighboring Chad or Cameroon, but it’s not clear where the girls are or whether they’ve left Nigeria.
TheUS troop will remain in Chad until its support in resolving the kidnapping situation is no longer required.
Meanwhile, the federal government on Wednesday asked the United Nations to designate Boko Haram as a terrorist organization as its escalating attacks spread alarm nationwide.
If approved, it will enable countries to impose arms embargoes, travel bans and asset freezes.
A United Nations al Qaeda committee is expected to decide when it meets Thursday. Nigeria’s request lists the terror group as an affiliate of al Qaeda.
This is a “significant step” in the fight against terror, said Joy Ogwu, the Nigerian ambassador to the United Nations.
The United States branded Boko Haram a terrorist group last year, providing greater access to its finances and more ability to limit its movements. U.S. officials have said Boko Haram does not have financing in the United States.
The insurgent group has escalated its attacks in Africa’s most populous nation as its bloodletting extends far beyond its hotbed in the rural northeast.
In attacks that appear to be getting more frequent, twin blasts killed at least 118 people Tuesday at a market in the central city of Jos.
The explosions went off 20 to 30 minutes apart, sparking an inferno that sent crowds running and screaming, covered in blood.
Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=11645