Fire Claims 2-Year-Old Boy, Destroys Properties In EbonyiEbonyi, Latest News, News Across Nigeria, News From The State Sunday, November 20th, 2016
By Ignatius Okpara
ABAKALIKI, EBONYI NIGERIA, (AFRICAN EXAMINER) – Tragedy struck Friday at Ekuluobia Street Kpiripiri in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi capital, south East Nigeria, as a two year-old boy was burnt to death and property valued several millions of naira destroyed in a fire disaster that occurred in the area.
The inferno which began in the morning hours destroyed residential rooms, as well as items such as refrigerators, mattresses, sofa, electronics, documents, among others.
Some of the victims who could not hold back their tears, appealed to the State government and National Emergency management Agency (NEMA) to come to their assistance.
Narrating how the incident happened, one of the victims said there was an electricity spark and within seconds, there was fire everywhere.
“I am the caretaker and a prospective corps member, I have lost all my documents to fire and I am supposed to join other corps members in few days’ time.
The State Chief fire Officer, Mr. James Owoh, who expressed shock over the tragedy, said his men responded promptly to the situation, and regretted the loss of the little boy and other items.
He added that “We arrived immediately after we were contacted and was able to put off the fire to avoid its escalation
“We still plead with the public to procure 6kg fire extinguisher for their homes to fight fire before the arrival of fire authority,” he advised.
The Executive Secretary, State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Mr. ken Ozioma, sympathized with the victims and family of the little boy whose life was claimed by the fire .
Short URL: https://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=36559