JAMB De-Lists 14 Accredited Centres Over Alleged MisconductsFeatured, Latest News, News Across Nigeria, News From The State Monday, April 1st, 2019
…Alleges Attack On 2 Officials In Lagos
(AFRICAN EXAMINER) – The Joint Admission and Registration Board (JAMB) Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede Monday announced that the body has de-listed 14 Computer Based Test (CBT) centres out of the accredited 712 accredited across the country.
The agency’s action Prof Oloyede while leading the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, on a visit to some CBT centres in Abuja Monday, during the mock examination was due to infractions such as technical hitch and deceit.
JAMB boss explained that the 698 centres left in the operations were ready for the conduct of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Education (UTME) scheduled to hold between Thursday, April 11 and Monday, April 15.
Oloyede added that the board was prepared for the over 157,000 candidates sitting for the mock examinations which held early Monday morning across the country.
“So far, so good; all the centres are doing very well. Of the 712, we have had to dis-accredit 14 this morning for one infraction or the other
“Some had technical problems and some due to deceit whereby some of them will go and borrow some computers, thinking that we will not know.
“Those centres we discovered went ahead to borrow computer systems for the exams have been dis-accredited. Now, we have about 698 centres left in the operation, but we have distributed the students across board’’ Oloyede said.
He also clarified that the mock examination was free in JAMB-owned centres, as it was a way the board gets the operations of the system ready ahead of the main examinations.
However, he added that only candidates writing the mock examinations at privately-owned CBT centres would be made to pay the sum of N700.
Meanwhile, the examination body has confirmed that two of its officials were attacked during the mock exercise in Lagos.
Prof. Ishaq Oloyede who disclosed this while on visit to some CBT centres with the Education Minister, alleged that the two officials would have been set ablaze but for the quick intervention that saved them from the attempted jungle justice.
He said the reason for the alleged attack was yet to be ascertained, even as the two officials have been taken to the hospital after they were rescued.
The Registrar specified that the attack took place at a centre in the Lagos State Polytechnic.
“The very first sad thing that we noticed was that two of our staff were almost murdered in Lagos.
“There was an attempt on their lives at the Lagos State Polytechnic. For whatever reason, they were wet with petrol and they were to be set ablaze.
“We have sent a rescue team and they took them to the hospital. We are still looking into what happened, but we have evacuated our staff from the place.
“We hope that whoever attempted that, the law enforcement agencies will not allow such an assault on innocent officials of government who went about their normal business,” Oloyede said.
While speaking at the end of the monitoring exercise, the Education Minister expressed confidence in the successful conduct of the examination which begins next week Thursday-April 11.
He called on the CBT centres bent on perpetrating infractions to desist from such acts.
“Everything is going on fine. The assessment of the exam is that everything is in order and from the report I am receiving from all over the country, everything is fine.
“I will advise those centres perpetrating some kind of malpractices to stop and adhere to whatever guidelines they have been given by JAMB; otherwise, the same fate will befall them.
“From what I have seen today, JAMB is ready for the examinations,” Adamu restated./NAN
Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=47911