Mubi Invasion: Bad Omen For Nigeria –AtikuLatest News, News Friday, October 31st, 2014
Ayodele Afolabi, Abuja
The Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has condemned the recent Boko Haram overrun of Mubi and the hoisting of their flag in Adamawa State’s second largest town, as a tragic act and a worrisome affront to the corporate integrity of Nigeria.
The Former Vice President, who was abroad when the sordid incident took place in his home State on Wednesday, 29 October, told a group of journalists on arrival on Friday that: “with what I have gathered so far from online news reports and other sources from Mubi town, the situation is very unfortunate and undermining for our country.”
The visibly angry Atiku also stressed that: “If the reports are true that the Armed Forces had abandoned their assigned duty posts a few days before the overrun, it was an indication that the attack was not sudden after all. If the Soldiers also left behind their ammunition and armoured carriers at the mercy of predatory insurgents, it raises a question of complicity in the sordid episode.”
He described as most unfortunate a situation were unsuspecting civilians who had relied on security agencies for their protection and were expecting an improvement in their security status as a result of the announced Ceasefire, were suddenly left defenceless and at the mercy of the marauders.
Atiku, who said he was not a conspiracy theory convert, did not hesitate to frown at the undercurrent of connivance that might have fuelled the sudden retreat of the military in the face of imminent invasion of a vital commercial town, less than three hours away from Yola the Adamawa State Capital.
“No Commander-in-Chief or General that is worth his salt will surrender his territory with folded arms and running heels,” he said.
“On every occasion that leaders from the North East raised an alarm about the dangerous trend, we have either been ignored or called names,” he recalled.
“If there’s any iota of truth in the suspicion of the people that they were deliberately abandoned, then it becomes a dangerous trend and a bad omen for Nigeria and all Nigerians,” he said.
Meanwhile, the former Vice President said he is heading for Yola to meet with those managing the displaced people and see what assistance he can render to reduce the sufferings of the people.
Short URL: http://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=19286