Al-Qaeda Suspect al-Liby in New York to Face ChargesAfrican News, World News Tuesday, October 15th, 2013
The Libyan man who was seized earlier this month in a US raid in Tripoli has been transferred to the US to face charges in New York.
Officials said Abu Anas al-Liby, whose real name is Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, had been questioned on board a navy ship while travelling to the US.
He is accused of links with al-Qaeda and involvement in the 1998 bombings of US embassies in East Africa.
Mr Liby was indicted by a New York grand jury in 2000.
The US attorney for the southern district of New York, Preet Bharara,said in a statement that Mr Liby was transferred to law enforcement custody at the weekend.
The 49-year-old was likely to be presented before a judicial officer on Tuesday, he added.
Short URL: https://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=2942