Breaking: 2 More Nigerians Survive Ebola, Discharged, Last Victim StableEbola News, Featured, Latest News Tuesday, August 26th, 2014
Two more Nigerians have survived the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) and have been discharged from the Isolation Centre after being treated, says the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu.
This brings to seven people that have survived the Ebola disease out of the 13 people infected with the disease, with five death, including the index came, late Patrick Sawyer.
At a news conference on Tuesday, Chukwu disclosed that only one confirmed Ebola case remained at the Isolation Centre in Lagos.
“Today is the 38th day since the Ebola Virus Disease was imported into Nigeria by a Liberian-American. As of today, 26th August, 2014, Nigeria has had 13 cases of EVD including the index case.
“Of these 13, five, including the index case unfortunately did not survive the disease and are now late. However, seven of the infected persons were successfully managed at the Isolation ward in Lagos and have been discharged home.
“Two of the treated patients, a male doctor and a female nurse were discharged yesterday evening, 25th August, 2014 having satisfied the criteria for discharge. As I speak to you, Nigeria has only one confirmed case of EVD, a secondary contact of Mr. Patrick Sawyer’s and spouse of one of the physicians who participated in the management of the index case,” he disclosed.
The minister said the one remaining Ebola patient is stable but still on treatment at the Isolation ward in Lagos.
He said so far, all the reported cases of the EVD in Nigeria have their root in the index case, the late Sawyer, saying this is an indication that, thus far, Nigeria has contained the disease outbreak.
“I wish to reassure Nigerians and indeed the global community that the government shall remain vigilant and will not relent as government continues to work with her partners to ensure that the disease is kept out of the country,” he stated.
Short URL: https://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=16710