Cholera Outbreak Kill 54 in BauchiLatest News, News From The State Thursday, April 10th, 2014
No fewer than 54 persons have been confirmed dead in cholera outbreak that struck Bauchi State in the last two months.
The State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Sani Malami, disclosed this on Thursday that the victims died at home because they were not taken to the hospital for medical attention.
Malami said though the situation had been brought under control through the quick intervention of the state government.
He said, “The number of deaths recorded in our facilities was five, but there were lot of deaths in the homes because people refused to take their relations to the hospitals.
“From our record, about 54 people have died in their homes. This was because people do not heed to medical advice to take their sick ones to the hospital.”
The State Commissioner for Health also revealed that proactive measures had been put in place to prevent future occurrence, especially in the aspect of awareness campaign, adding that the ministry had so far visited over 20,000 homes to advocate for timely report of any suspicion of the disease to the nearest health facility for quick diagnosis.
He however said the state had also chlorinated over 60,000 wells within Bauchi town against the cholera virus.
Short URL: https://www.africanexaminer.com/?p=9986